I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:53:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 09:08 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 08:00 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
> > > Nah, couldn't be related.  When you add that there are exactly zero
> > > configuration tools to aid us in making this undocumented POC work,
> > > ahh forget it, this is fedora and we are supposed to bleed for the
> > > cause, right?
> >
> > Motto:  "What we lack in documentation we make up for in ideology"
> >
> > Back in my first unix job a zillion years ago the company I worked for
> > had this rule that nothing got installed in a public */bin directory
> > anywhere unless it also had a man page describing all the command line
> > options installed into the appropriate man directory.  That worked out
> > really well in the long run.  Newbies and wizards alike appreciated
> > being able to just say "man foo" and be reminded of how things worked.
> > I miss that.
> ----
> there are some who light candles and some will just curse the darkness.
> If you see a void in the documentation, I reasonably certain that your
> efforts to fill that void would be appreciated.

I'm afraid this comes across as smugness. While I'm willing to do some
polishing of documentation if asked, actually writing docs for something
like PA (or NM, another bugbear of many people here) when one has no
idea how it actually works is simply not reasonable. The devels have to
shoulder this as part of the process of releasing new software, at least
in initial versions.

poc