I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat May 30 09:50:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> 2009/5/30 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> > On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 01:29 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> >> Most of the modern Intel HDA cards _are_ capable of mixing streams. I
> >> have owned one such card since 2007. Also most of the hi-end boards
> >> today support multiple streams. However I am not sure whether
> >> pulseaudio can stream two different streams to these sound cards and
> >> let it playback in two different devices. A very common situation
> >> would be something like a skype call on a headphone without
> >> interrupting music playback on external speakers.
> >
> > You could only do that if you have two *separate* *output* hardware
> > circuits.  Lots of cards only have one output system.  They might give
> > you separate volume controls for speakers or headphones, but both
> > control the same thing (one output source), they just switch between
> > which control to use depending on whether you've plugged a headphone, in
> > or not.  Which makes more sense than at first seems.
> >
> > e.g. My laptop has silly little speakers that always need full volume,
> > my headphones work normally.  It's handy to set the level for each
> > appropriately, and not have to move the volume up and down between them,
> > just because I've plugged a lead in.
> >

> I first used this on an Intel 975XBX2 workstation board I bought in
> 2007. It _is_ capable of multi-streaming, I could set up my drivers to
> present to the apps as two different output devices. So I had skype
> configured to use the front jacks and I used the rear jacks to stream
> to the line-in of my home entertainment system.

How did you do that? I am using the same card right now and I did not know
it was able of doing that. I know it has three different circuits for input,
but you are saying
it can do the same for output...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti