Make a simple server -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun May 31 22:34:47 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 18:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> What do I need to do to make a spare computer into a file server
>> accessible only on my home LAN? I would like to be able to read and
>> write files to it. My computers are running F-10, I believe the one I am
>> considering using still has F-8 or 9 on it but it could be upgraded.
>>
>> I've googled a bit but most of what I found would do more than what I need.
>>
> ----
> perhaps you might want to synthesize your thoughts now that you  googled
> a bit.
>
> Craig

For instance: "This is a detailed description about how to set up a
Fedora 10 server that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters:
Apache web server," That seems a bit more than I need. It seems to me I
should be able to assign the server and address like 192.168.1.10 and
access it like any other computer in the house. But I don't know where
to start. Just need a clue as to where to look ...

//