Samba with Windows XP client

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Nov 2 21:28:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:12:04PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm running Samba on a Fedora machine,
> and was hoping to access files on a Windows XP Pro client,
> by "sudo mount -t cifs harriet:C /mnt/win".
> This works OK, but I am not able to browse on the Windows machine.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something about how Samba works?
> Do I need to specify this Windows folder on the Linux box?
> Or is there some step I am meant to take on the Windows machine,
> beyond allowing File and Folder Sharing?

I've done things like that, but find that I need to use some additional
mount options to pass along username and password for the share being
mounted. something like:

mount -t cifs -o user=me,password=mypassword //host/path /mnt/foobar

and possibly uid and gid as well, etc.

see "man mount.cifs" for gory details.