Countdown is on... 13 days until F12 stable.

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 5 01:35:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 04:11:53PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 13:07:59 -0800,
>   Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Will there be a way to upgrade F11 to F12?
>
> Yes. There are several. But typically you want to upgrade using an install
> image or you want to use preupgrade.
>
> > And if I don't like F12, will there be a way to go back to F11?
>
> Not easily. Try using a live image to try out the things you need to work
> to see if it is suitable for you. If not, no harm done. If thinks look good,
> then an upgrade will be less risky for you.

Backups are you friend...

I've got F11 on my eeepc 901 with a 4 gig SSD and a 16 gig SSD all munged
together as a single LVM. I plan to boot a live image and use dd to backup
the two "drives" to network storage before doing the f11==>f12 upgrade,
so if it goes bad, I can blast the F11 image back onto the sytstem with
dd and be right back where I started.

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.