Google calling home from my system, what is the package?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Nov 5 17:52:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 03:31:39 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> You might be able to find out all you need with the netstat command,
> by itself, simply by adding some more parameters.
>
> e.g. netstat -etuvp

Thanks, will keep this as a possibility also.

> (extended results for tcp & udp traffic, more verbose, & show the
> processes involved)
>
> Chances are that the original poster is using the Firefox web browser,
> and has the anti-scamming feature enabled that queries Google about
> the pages that they're looking up.

Yes, I'm using the FF web browser, not sure about the anti-scamming
feature.  This happens when I am not actively browsing though the
browser is open.  Sometimes I'm in the consoles, other times in mail or
another Gnome program, and sometimes just sitting here thinking. It can
be long enough that the screensave and powersave has kicked in.

I've removed the google packages, I'll keep an eye open for this.