Re: Can a kernel rpm be built for i686 on x86_64?

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:15 AM, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 <wacker octothorp org> wrote:
      Hi all,

          Years ago, I successfully built an i686 kernel using a machine running the x86_64 distro.  The kernel seemed to run fine.  The only trouble I found was when I tried to build an external module, the build failed.  It
      turned out that the kernel-devel package had a binary called genksyms. That was still being built as an elf64 binary.  I can no longer find that binary, so I believe it's now OK to build all my packages for i686 and x86_64
      at once on an x86_64 machine.  Is this recommended?  If not, why not?

There is no problem, and take a look at mock. This is the way to go.

Thanks. I knew I could do it in Mock, but with the small number of builds I do, it seems like overkill. If I understand you correctly, I should be good to go, even without Mock.

         Thanks again.

--
         Bill in Denver