Fedora 11 x86_64, ATI HD4870, and RPM Fusion's Catalyst Drivers...

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 6 23:24:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 17:13:00 -0500,
  Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> On 09-11-06 15:28:19, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:06:58 -0800,
> >   suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The next month I am in the middle of something very critical, so
> > > can'treally play around, I need my system to stay up and running. I
> > > am even holding off the F12 upgrade for this. Would testing with
> > > the F12 LiveCD and giving feedback based on that help? I could
> > > easily do that without disturbing my current setup.
> >
> > I doubt you'd get the experimental driver package on any of the live
> > images.  So you'd need to make your own live image. That may be more
> > trouble than it's worth.
>
> I was told the Nightly Builds are Live Images.

You can try those, but the r600 / r700 stuff is supposed to be disabled by
default because KMS / 3d acceleration wasn't thought to be ready for those
chipsets. You need to install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package.

You could do that after booting one of the livecd images, so I think it
isn't as much of a problem to test as I originally thought. If you want
some 3d apps to exercise your video card, the games spin has a few. It's
about a 4GB download. If you do that you only need to download it once
and can do multiple tests with the same image separated in time. Another
option would be to install a single 3d game after booting the live image.
The 3d games typically have large (100+ MB) data sets so doing that a few
times might get annoying. You need enough ram to handle the update and
still be able to run stuff.