Creating a local RPM repository

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 7 14:56:38 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> But couldn't yum just have an option to look for RPMs on the local
>> network?  Ie look first in local cache, then on LAN, then at remote
>> repo.  I would have thought that would be easy to implement.
>
> It's trivial to change the yum repo settings to look anywhere you
> want.

Concretely, I want yum to look first in /var/cache/yum/updates on my laptop,
then in alfred:/var/cache/yum/updates on a local machine,
and then in the remote repository.

What exactly can I put in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
to implement this?

> It's also possible to become a private mirror and have the default
> fedora mirrorlists return your own site when clients within your
> netblock request updates.  See How can someone make a private mirror?
> at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring, which I
> believe was already mentioned in this thread.

I've looked at a couple of the sites mentioned in this thread,
and I am afraid the instructions are simply too complicated to follow.
(The document you mention seems to have over 100 pages,
which to me is information over-kill.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net