Initializing hardware

Robt C Parrish Sr. linuxnewbie at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 02:04:31 UTC 2009

Does anyone know what the difference is between how version 11 initializes
hardware and how version 12 does it?  Several years ago I played around with
Redhat linux for awhile.  I've been trying to installing Fedora onto a
second harddrive on a system with XP on the first drive.  Here is my
dilemma.

I downloaded version 11 and burnt them to CD.  When I try to install it gets
to where it initializes hardware and hangs up/freezes.  I searched thru the
forum and the only thing I found was that it points to hardware
compatibility.  I checked and all my hardware seems compatible.  I saw on
the forum where version 12 was released and decided to try that.  The
install goes well and I get past the disk partitioning to installing the
bootloader.  When I try to go to the nest step I get "Unable to read group
information from repositories.  This is a problem with the generation of
your installation."  When I checked the forum for this message it talked
about a problem with the CDs burning.  I checked according to the
instructions and the CDs checked out ok.

If I can figure out why version 11 hangs on initializing hardware I can
install that version.  If I can figure out what version 12 halts after the
bootloader I can install that version.  I am really interested in getting
Fedora installed.