Hotswapping SATA question

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 06:03:27 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 09:12 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>>

>>> How does one go about hotplugging/hotswapping SATA drives in Fedora?
>>> I just got a new NAS box with hotswapping capabilities (HP EX470) and
>>> would like to know how it works, usually.
>>>

>> This may not apply to your situation.  But, in my case it depends on the
>> HW being used.  My system has 3ware Inc 9550SX controllers and the
>> rebuilds are handled in the controller after hot swapping.  No manual
>> intervention is needed.  The progress of the operation can be monitored
>> on the Web Interface supplied by 3ware.  Additionally, one can do admin
>> functions from the Web Interface.
>>
>> I guess the question is....are you interested in HW based RAID and
>> hot-swapping or are you planning on SW based?
>>
>> Seems this HP server comes preloaded with Windows Home Server.  Don't
>> have a clue how it plays with Linux should you load it on it....
>>

> OK...couldn't resist using google....
>
> http://samuel.thollander.net/projects/linux-on-hp-ex470/
>
> Ubuntu in use....but should provide clues....

Thanks, I know of that page :)
Actually it's outdated somewhat - at the very least, F12 works
reasonably well on the box (NIC )

The server doesn't support hardware RAID, it uses some WHS' feature
which simply duplicates directories to multiple disks for redundancy but
otherwise uses striping.
It supports hotswapping, though - so I'd like to use SW RAID with
hotswapping