unexpected logout

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 11 01:01:08 UTC 2009

William Case wrote:
> Hi Craig;
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 17:02 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 06:55 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> In addition, I had a power supply go wonky that ended up being the
>>> culprit.
>> ----
>> Is that a technical term (wonky)?
>>

> Wonky is an open ended technical term.  It describes a piece of hardware
> or software that does not act the way it used to, was expected to or
> hoped for.  Its use implies that the user has not yet looked into why
> this may be happening, usually in the hope that someone else has already
> done the research and found a solution.  Wonkyness is usually announced
> by the phrase "Oh sh*t!".

Here at our labs, the correct sequence of phrases that determine if an
item has acquired "wonkiness" are:

	"Huh?"
	"What the hell?"
	"Goddamit!"
	"She-e-e-t! Piece of junk!"

Occasionally, the phrase, "It's never done THAT before!" is injected
somewhere before the last phrase.  One often sees steam coming from the
ears of the personnel who have been victimized by wonkiness.  It is
highly recommended to stay out of their offices for at least 30 minutes
to permit a cool down.  One may accelerate the cool down by
surreptitiously sneaking a beer into the victim's line of sight.
-   To err is human.  To forgive, a large sum of money is needed.    -