Curious problem with yum

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:59:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:51:25 +1000, Paul wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:25:45PM -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 12:23 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> > > ipstate
> >
> > Replace all occurrences of "ipstate" in my post with "iptstate". Oops!
>
> Known problem -- the maintainer made a minor mistake

It was a major mistake to not notice the SONAME bump _and_ skip
the updates-testing repo _and_ not enter any update description.

Using tool from the "rpmdevtools" should be mandatory for package
maintainers. Really do try out rpmsoname and rpmsodiff if you are
a library package maintainer.

> and this should
> be cleared up shortly.  Just wait until tomorrow and try again.
> Fedora contributors are working on tools that in the future will help
> minimize these occurrences. If anyone would like to get involved to
> solve the problem, they're always welcome!

s/minimize/avoid/ ?  Hopefully with fully automated broken deps checks, it
will not be possible anymore for package maintainers to push such
ABI-incompatible upgrades directly into the stable repo. [Also note that
several (many?) maintainers are still not aware of koji buildroot override
tags and that it needs Fedora releng to create them, and when you talk to
such maintainers you find out that they believe they must push upgrades
into stable before they could do rebuilds of dependencies.]