My laptop's battery is bigger than yours

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 12 12:04:13 UTC 2009

Richard Hughes writes:

> 2009/11/12 Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>:
>> Somehow, since a few weeks ago, occasionally gnome power manager loses its
>> mind and starts telling me that my laptop battery's "last full charge" is
>> 946.0 watt-hours of juice. Which makes the battery percentage indicator
>> pretty much meaningless.
>
> Have a look at /sys/class/power_supply/BAT*/* when this happens. I
> would bet money the kernel is lying to us.

If I'm reading this right, the kernel is giving out right data.

[root at lc2440 BAT0]# cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full
63000000
[root at lc2440 BAT0]# cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design
60000000
[root at lc2440 BAT0]# cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now
59055000

This matches up what gnome-power-manager is telling me what my current
charge is -- 59 watt-hours left. My full charge is 63 watt-hours, and the
full design charge is 60 watt-hours (it's a fairly new battery).

Meanwhile, with all of the above, gnome-power-manager is now showing me the
last full charge of 947.4 watt-hours, throwing everything off kilter.