X.org synaptics touchpad and absolute/relative mode

Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus stefan at seekline.net
Sat Nov 14 14:38:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

to get my synaptics touchpad work properly I always have to execute the
following command after login:

xinput set-mode appletouch ABSOLUTE

I tried to configure it via HAL but without any luck:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Mode" type="string">absolute</merge>

All other options configured via HAL take effect except the "Mode" one
(btw. I do not have xorg.conf file).

$ lshal | grep Mode
input.x11_options.Mode = 'absolute'  (string)

HAL is properly configured. So this is not the problem. Does someone
have an idea why all other options are taken but not the "Mode" one?

- Fedora 11 with latest updates from today.
- Apple PowerBook G4 (one of the latest Aluminium versions)

cheers
Stefan