man 3 switch

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Nov 16 18:54:45 UTC 2009

On 11/14/2009 01:55 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:50:57 -0500
> Steven W. Orr wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with perl having all kinds of perldoc pages. But perl
>> comes from one place. C, OTOH could come from lots of places besides FSF and
>> the switch statement in gcc may not be exactly the same as the switch
>> statement in some other dialect.
>
> As C is an ISO standard, I sincerely doubt there would be any difference in the
> syntax and behaviour of the keywords between C compilers on any Unix-like
> operating system.

Incorrect.  C, for example, does not guarantee the order of evaluation
of arithmetic operators of equal precedence in the same statement (in
other words, is something like "a + b + c" evaluated left to right, or
right to left?).  This can have significant effects if some of the
operands have "side effects"

Another example is that a null pointer (or the value "NUL") is not
necessarily zero, only that it is guaranteed to not point at any valid
datum.

C allows quite a bit of leeway to the compiler implementation.

>> Let's talk about foreskins instead.
>
> Is there something wrong with you?
>
>> (Wait, did I just start ranting?)
>
> I can't tell you what you're thinking, if you actually are.  Why do you
> believe it's appropriate to make idiotic remarks like that in the middle of a
> serious discussion on a technical mailing list?  Are you really that immature?

-           Vegetarian:  Old Indian word for "lousy hunter"          -