how to start with simple SDL programming?

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 20:19:23 UTC 2009

2009/11/16, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

>   having never done any SDL programming before (so be gentle), what
> would i need to do to get started in terms of loading framebuffer
> support for my first program?
>
>   currently, on this laptop, i have perfectly serviceable video with:
>
> $ lsmod | grep radeon
> radeon                509536  2
> ttm                    42256  1 radeon
> drm_kms_helper         25456  1 radeon
> drm                   172288  5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
> radeonfb               75128  0
> fb_ddc                  2464  1 radeonfb
> i2c_algo_bit            6068  2 radeon,radeonfb
> i2c_core               28608  8
> radeon,drm,radeonfb,fb_ddc,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_dev,videodev,i2c_piix4
> $
>
>   i also have a "radeonfb" loadable module which i'm assuming i'm
> going to need.  or am i?  there's certainly enough simple SDL examples
> out there to get started, i just want to make sure i have the
> underlying functionality in place for my first sample program to run.
> thoughts?  or am i going about this the wrong way?

As far as I know, at least the basic SDL graphics stuff should work
just fine anywhere you can expect to get a normal graphical program
running. Basic OpenGL stuff is also doable with just a plain vesa
video driver, but of course it'll be quite slow unless you have
hardware acceleration.

I don't think you need the radeonfb driver for anything SDL related. I
think the SDL framebuffer usually refers to the pixels inside the
window that SDL creates for you.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com