F12 upgrade needs more space for /mnt/sysimage/boot

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Nov 18 06:39:44 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 12:03 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:27:22 -0500
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>> I stared at the error for almost 3 minutes before I realized that it was
>> allowing me the option to do the download at boot time and continued on
>> to the package download.
>
> It doesn't for me.  I have exactly this problem trying to run preupgrade on my
> Acer Aspire One.  It goes through the whole production, downloads everything
> and at the end it tells me that I need 1.5mb more space in /boot.  My only
> options at that point are "check again" and "quit".  If I quit, it's game
> over.  Running preupgrade after that tells me that everything is ready,
> reboot.  If I do so, grub takes me right back into Fedora 11.  The only entry
> in grub.conf is the single kernel that I have left on that machine; there's
> nothing else that I can see that I could remove from /boot to gain 1.5mb.

You have run out of space before getting to the anaconda kernel and
initrd.  Check /boot for a preupgrade directory.  It needs to copy a few
things into it (like the anaconda kernel and initrd, but also a
kickstart file, and some other things).  If there is no room for the
necessary items, you are out of luck.

Have you tried Germán's suggestion of removing unneeded F11 kernels?

The Achilles's heel of preupgrade is the amount of free space in your
/boot partition.  Kinda ironic, since Redhat once recommended a seperate
and small /boot partition (back in the day).  Can you resize your
partitions such that /boot has more space?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net