upgrading i686 F11 -> x86-64 F12

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 18 15:12:05 UTC 2009

Colin Brace wrote:

> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Have you tried using a x86_64 install DVD and going the "upgrade" route
>> with it (rather than the "install" route)?
>>
>> I essentially did this from F6.i686 to F9.x86_64.  I had lots to clean
>> up when I was done, but it essentially worked.  You might have to change
>> the following file by hand first:
>>
>> 	/etc/rpm/platform
>>
>> so that it contains the one line:
>>
>> x86_64-redhat-linix
>>
>> You might also want to change to this line in /etc/yum.conf
>>
>> exactarch=0
>>
>> If you do that, I think that you could then use "yum upgrade" to do the
>> upgrade and it would switch package architectures for you.
>>

> Very interesting idea, Kevin. Sounds like you are suggesting two different
> approaches: one an upgrade from the DVD; the other is using yum. Or am I
> misunderstanding you? Yum requires the "preupgrade" route, no?

That's an interesting question, to which I have no answer. I have yum.conf set
to keep RPMs, and I have run upgrade within a given release just with
"--downloadonly" set. I don't know if preupgrade is significantly different, and
if so in what way.

I would certain go the preupgrade route, that being the "least unsupported"
path, although a full reinstall of all system data will probably be more
satisfactory in the end.

I find that the biggest problem with 64 bit is that I still have to install the
32 bit libraries and things to use some software; I don't want to spend all my
time building from source, finding the 64 bit versions, etc. If there were a
group "all the usual 32 bit libraries" I'd be happier. As it is, my desktops are
still 32 bit with PAE kernels.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>