samsung m800

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 18 16:30:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:44:51 -0700
Kevin Kempter wrote:

> Have you had a look at dmesg ? sometimes I find that certian usb things dont
> automatically give me a connection but I can usually find the device name in a
> dmesg output and mount it myself

The only device name that shows up in both /var/log/messages and dmesg
is /dev/ttyACM0

Here is what dmesg has to say:

usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6640
usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 5-1: Product: SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies
usb 5-1: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG Electronics Co.,Ltd.
cdc_acm 5-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

I think that cdc_acm means that it thinks the phone is a modem.

If I try to mount /dev/ttyACM0 as a drive, I get an error message telling me
that /dev/ttyACM0 is not a block device.

I see that someone here has typed out the complete set of instructions that
comes in the Samsung M800 user manual regarding how to transfer data between
the phone and a computer:

http://www.forensicfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3490

That's exactly what I have in my user manual, too.  As you can see, everything
apparently happens by magic on Windows.  (I don't have any Windows machines so
I can't try this out, though.)

I think my problem is that I have to somehow get Fedora to recognize the phone
as a "mass storage device" instead of a modem.  But I can't find anything that
tells me how to do that.