F12 work around for out of space on /boot for preupgrade?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:16:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:02:29AM -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 11/18/2009 10:52 AM, jarmo wrote:
> > On keskiviikko 18 marraskuu 2009 18:15:43 Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >
> >> I am wondering if running gparted from a live disk would allow
> > you to
> >> resize /boot without losing any data.
> >>
> >> Please keep us informed... I have exactly 187 MB free after
> > cleaning up
> >> and that is supposedly how much it needs.   How much free
> > space do you
> >> have ?  (df -h)
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> > I tried with sysresc-cd and gparted complained, that LVM is not yet
> > supported. So.... I need 8M more space.....
> >

> I'm bailing out of preupgrade. I've deleted all the preupgrade files.
> I've got the DVD and am going to perform an upgrade from that.
>
> Next time I do a clean install, I'm not going to use LVM.

The fact that LVM isn't supported in a certain environment using
gparted is probably not a good argument against using it globally.
LVM solves a lot more problems than it causes, take it from someone
who held out for a long while himself. :-)

There are ways to move LVM partitions around to make more space for,
and then resize, an existing physical /boot partition... but none of
them are pretty.  (Resizing other partitions dynamically?  Now *that*
is easy with LVM, something you can't say otherwise.)