low res after F12 upgrade

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 18 20:28:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 13:23:21 -0700,
  Greg Woods <woods at ucar.edu> wrote:
> I just upgraded my laptop from Fedora 11 to Fedora 12, using the DVD.
> Unfortunately I cannot get it to do any better than 800x600 resolution
> which really sucks. The laptop has a 1024x768 LCD display, but even
> using system-config-display to set this doesn't help, even after
> rebooting I still can't do better than 800x600. The machine has an Intel
> graphics chip. Is there anything I can do to get back to 1024x768 which
> I know the hardware is capable of?

You can probably make an xorg.conf file to get around this. I have had
to do this for a few machines with old monitors that don't provide information
as expected through EDID.

For F12 you'll probably add a mode line. In earlier versions of Fedora I
used to get mode lines for standard sizes (at 60Hz I think), but with F12
that isn't the case.

Making modelines is a bit risky as you can drive your monitor or video card
out of spec which might damage it. If you know it worked at 1024x768 60Hz
then you should be able to use that when making a new mode line definition.