How to temporarily disable rpmfusion NVidia driver...

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Thu Nov 19 14:34:16 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone
I am running Fedora 12.  Fresh install (not an upgrade) and fully updated.  I am
also running the NVidia driver from rpmfusion's testing repo.  ALMOST everything
is working perfectly.

Also, I am using the KDE that ships with Fedora 12.

My main issue is that when I hit "Alt | F2", the "Run Command" dialog takes
about 10 seconds to come up.  Until it does come up, my system is useless.  It
makes no difference if I right click on the desktop and choose "Run Command"
Also, the KDE Kickoff Application Launcher responds slowly.

My first idea is that it is an issue with the Plasma Desktop.  But then why would
it take so long just to start Konsole?

So how can I easily/temporarily disable the rpmfusion NVidia driver for the
purpose of testing this issue?  Just for testing this, I would really rather not
undo what it took to get this to work as well as it has:

su -
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

This all worked perfectly on Fedora 11, and I did not have these issues on
Fedora 12 until I installed the NVidia driver from rpmfusion testing.

My system's specs should be good enough to handle all the desktop effects that I
might want to throw at it:
Intel Xeon 2.0GHZ QuadCore processor, 8gigs of RAM, nVidia Corporation G94
[GeForce 9600 GT] (which includes 512MV of RAM)

So, it would be good to temporarily disable the NVidia driver for testing
purposes.

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: The reason why this MIGHT not be off topic here is that I am using the KDE
that ships with Fedora 12.