Possible memory leak in cc1plus (Fedora 12)

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Nov 20 14:10:36 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone
If this is not a Fedora issue, please let me know and I will take it elsewhere.
I will be glad to file any bug reports that may be necessary.

While compiling KDE from source, I think I have seen an example of a memory
leak.  A function named "cmakekde" invokes "cc1plus"  Sometimes make/cc1plus
will just hang.  No error, no progress whatsoever.  When I hit "Ctrl C" the
process exits immediately with no useful error messages.

But I just noticed that when the compilation process appears to hang, that
"cc1plus" just keeps taking up more and more memory.  With just one "cc1plus"
process running, I just had one of these hangs that almost used every bit of the
8gigs of RAM that I have on this system.  I think that about 500MB of swap was
being used as well.  Sometimes "cc1plus" will get out of it's loop and just
complete, and it will release the memory it was using.  That is what happened
with what I was hoping to use as an example in describing this problem.

My cc1plus is provided by the following:
gcc-c++-4.4.2-7.fc12.x86_64

In case it is relevant, my version of cmake is cmake-2.8.0-1spu.x86_64
I built the RPM myself using the spec file from rawhide and the source tarball
from cmake, though I think that the tarball in the SRPM is the same...

Other than that, this is a Fedora 12 system with an Intel Xeon 2.0GHZ QuadCore
processor and 8gigs of RAM.  It is fully updated as of this morning.

Any advice you can give me about how to debug this will be greatly appreciated.
Also, the next time cc1plus hangs, I will just let it go and see what happens.
Though with four cores maxed out to 100% and 8gigs of RAM being used, even this
system begins to show signs of being over worked...

Steven P. Ulrick