suggested DVD editing toolset?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Nov 20 22:50:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:45:44 -0800
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> How does one get mplayer to do that?  I've only been able to play DVD's
> with totem.

Well, you have to have zillions of support libs installed, but if
you have all the junk like libdvdcss and libdvdnav and just about
anything else with "dvd" in the name from rpmfusion, then something
like this works for me:

mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 -ac hwdts,hwac3, -monitoraspect 16:9 -fs

That tells it to go directly to title 1 (which is usually the main movie,
you might have to adjust this for some DVDs) and play that and the english
soundtrack (if it is marked properly - also spotty with some DVDs). It
also sends the already encoded soundtrack directly from the DVD to the
digital output on my soundcard (which goes to my sound system).

There are all sorts of other nifty mplayer tricks out there,
like a filter to observe the black bands on a letterbox DVD and
tell you what cropping and scaling filters to use to blow it up
to fill the screen :-).