Can't build 2.6.31.6 64bit kernel under Fedora11

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Fri Nov 20 22:52:11 UTC 2009

 I thought I had the solution to this problem, but I was too optomistic, it
(the problem) is still there.

This is probably a side effect of my new Fedora11 install,- they don't seem to
install as much,
by default, as they used to.

But, Im trying to build a 64bit version of linux-2.6.31.6 on a 64bit Petium4.
Starting with the first compile I get error messages from nm saying that the
file format is not
recognized.

Here is the output from both file, and nm, which appear to be inconsistent:

File shows:

reg at deneb kernel]$ file *.o
microcode.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
microcode_amd.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
microcode_core.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
microcode_intel.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped
test_nx.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

while nm shows

[reg at deneb kernel]$ nm *.o
nm: microcode.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_amd.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_core.o: File format not recognized
nm: microcode_intel.o: File format not recognized
nm: test_nx.o: File format not recognized

Almost looks like the wrong version of nm, but Im sure someone
out there will have a better idea. There is only one version of nm on the
system,
and Im at a loss to figure out what's going on.

Reg.Clemens
clemens at dwf.com