preupgrade disappointment....

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sat Nov 21 00:57:53 UTC 2009

2009/11/21 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>:
> This is just an FYI, IMHO note.
>
> I did a fresh install of F12 on one system without incident.
>
> I did a preupgrade of a fully updated F11 system also without incident
> but not without disappointment.
>
> I would have expected that features that are installed by default on a
> fresh F12 install would also be installed especially when the result is
> an improved experience.  I found that yum-presto was not installed.  Had
> I not known that a fresh install had it I may not have known.
>
> I just think that when features are installed by default on a fresh
> install they should also be included in an upgrade.

I disagree. An upgrade is a "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it
scenario". If I don't have feature X and I upgrade, I don't want it to
give me X by default.

If it says "hey, you've now got Fedora X+1 and it has some great
features like YYYYY and ZZZZZ that you are currently missing out on -
would you like to enable them?" then that's a different proposition...

--
Sam