Fedora-12 from USB stick

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 23 14:48:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 15:17 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I found that the mystery UUID
> actually refers to the partition which is the new / .
> So installing Fedora-12 on this partition
> changes its UUID, which I find slightly surprising -
> I thought the whole point of these UUIDs
> was that they never changed.

That depends on the circumstances...

Pull out drive UUID-whatever, plug it in somewhere else, or the same
place at a later date, and that same UUID is applied to that drive.
Plug in some other drive, and it'll have a different UUID, and shouldn't
get confused with some other drive, if you unplugged one and plugged
another into the same port.

Reformat a drive, and it's probably going to get a new one, unless the
formatting routine noted the old one, beforehand, and restored it.  You
probably will be reformatting during an install.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.