Cannot boot after update F11

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 22:51:59 UTC 2009

On 11/23/2009 07:01 AM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Help! I Have 2 Computer HP laptop and Dell Desktop Both have worked fine
> the laptop was getting update regularly, desktop did not. I decided to
> poke around, and found the update box was not checked, so I did and then
> used "su -c 'yum update'" it start the update, but at one point start to
> repeat lines claiming yum was busy I left running for while then I
> realize that it got in an endless loop I stop by closing the terminal.
> The download continue for while, when stop I reboot but din,t even got
> to the menu. I try the rescue disk but it takes me to the command line,
> what I do from here? I will appreciate very much some help.
>   I was ready to do new installation with F12 but I will loose important
> data. This is dual boot with windows xp in 2 separate HD, windows would
> not boot also.
> Thank you in advance.
> Vinny

If you have critical data that is not backed up you might want to boot a
live CD distro and back that stuff up to external media first.

Does the /mnt/sysimage/boot directory exist and have :

1) grub subdirectory?
2) Files vmlinuz* and init*?

If so, you could do a "grub reinstall". When I googled for "fedora grub
install rescue" this came up near the top :

http://ilovefedora.blogspot.com/2009/05/reinstall.html

...if you don't know where your boot sector is installed, google for
"fedora where is my boot sector" and there are lots of ways to find it.

---
John