Upgrading from FC8 to F12 - please help

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Wed Nov 25 17:44:04 UTC 2009

Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 11:24:28 AM, you wrote:

> Andrew Junev wrote:

>>> I apologise for such a messy description. If there's anything I can
>>> provide or clarify - let me know how I could do it.
>>
>>> I would really appreciate any hints on how to get my system back...
>>

>> Update: now while trying to boot to an old FC8, I get an error:
>>

>> /sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsepol.so.1:
>> invalid ELF header
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>

>> Doesn't look good... :-(
>>
>> I would prefer to continue with an upgrade to F12 if possible, but I
>> don't know how to do it and I'm not sure it is possible at all...

> I would suggest you to separate your recovery in steps.
> First thing: disconnect your two 1TB drives where you have your data.
> Second: try to fix the system when using only the 2 200GB disks.

> Losing the system will be bad, losing the data would be worse.

Ok, I disconnected data drives and also disconnected one of the
mirrored drives (I know, I know - I should have done it before I
tried the whole upgrade thing)...

With only one drive connected (degraded RAID) I booted from a Live CD
and tried to run fsck. It gave me a lot of errors about incorrect
inodes and something like that. I then tried to correct the errors,
but it didn't change the situation - I still couldn't boot from the
hard disk to either FC8 or F12.

Well, I still have another drive from this mirror disconnected, so I
can (hopefully) get my system back to where it was before I ran fsck.

Next step, I tried to reinstall F12 to my degraded array from the very
beginning. I booted F12 istallation DVD, but it complained it can't
find any drive to install the system to.
I can see in the log files it detects my disk as /dev/sda, but then it
says:

wrong # of devices in RAID set "pdc_eceihagjh" [1/2] on /dev/sda

So the installer probably rejects an idea to install Fedora on a
degraded array - am I right? Is there a way to force it?

I'd like to keep an old system on the spare drive for the time being.
It is actually accessible when booting from a Live CD and I think I
may need some configuration files from there to set up new system
correctly.

--
Best regards,
 Andrew