Creating a local RPM repository

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 26 01:55:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 10:44 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have a hard time thinking of a case where I'd use both 'cost' and
> 'priority' was my point. They seem to provide the same capability to
> select which repo is getting used most, with a different spin. I
> wonder why priority was even added, or if it existed before cost.

Upon reflection, I think I can get a grip on a purpose for both.

My ISP has a Fedora mirror, downloading from it counts as local traffic
instead of internet traffic.  So there's a "cost".

It's not updated as often as the source for the mirrors, so there's a
priority (the others being greater).

If my local mirror happened to be up to date, then it'd be best to use
it.  But if it were detectable that something else was more up to date,
it'd be useful to go there, instead.

Then there's cases where the two parameters mightn't have any
interaction (such as priorities between repos which offer similar, but
not compatible files - yum get everything you that can from /this/ one).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.