changing GDM background image on F12

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Nov 28 03:01:03 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:
> all the images in that dir have the same owner and permissions.
> selinux is not in enforcing mode, but I tried the command above
> anyway.  result: no change.
>
> Is it possible that /usr/share/backgrounds/images isn't the right
> place?  there are several other dirs in /usr/share/backgrounds, so
> maybe I need to try sticking it in other places.

I can't imagine how or why that would help.  As long as gdm can read
the file, it should be good.  I used several files from the
/usr/share/backgrounds/ tree and they all worked here.

You should notice that a new user gets the image you specify (or an
existing user that has not set their own background image).  It would
be worth verifying whether that is the case for you.  If it's not,
then the problem isn't with gdm but elsewhere.

Put the key of despair into the lock of apathy. Turn the knob of
mediocrity slowly and open the gates of despondency - welcome to a day
in the average office.