[Fedora-livecd-list] Live USB converter script

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:30:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:33 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> A better choice is to take the live CD image and copy the bits from it
> to your USB stick.  The result is the attached script.  Run it with
> arguments of the live CD iso image and the device of your USB key and it
> copies over the bits of the live CD onto your USB stick and makes it
> bootable.  Supported filesystems for your USB stick are vfat/msdos and
> ext23.

Just a note - the -d flag to syslinux doesn't exist in syslinux-3.11
(i.e. doesn't work in FC6). The script should maybe check for that.
Something like:

if ! syslinux 2>&1 | grep -qe -d; then
    echo "Your syslinux is too old for this."
    exit 1
fi

> What do people think?  It seems to work from some quick testing and it's
> impressive just how much faster it is going from a USB stick.

The only thing keeping this from being face-meltingly awesome is the
lack of persistent storage. Well, that and I can't get it to boot from
my USB key: "Missing operating system" every time. Maybe it doesn't like
vfat? I'll try ext3 and see what happens.

-w