[Fedora-livecd-list] Live USB converter script

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 17:20:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 18:29 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Will Woods schrieb:
> > On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 11:41 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> >> You might have to run fdisk on the device and make the partition
> >> bootable.
> > I used gparted, and it said the partition was marked bootable. fdisk
> > confirmed that, but it said the partition boundaries were odd. So I
> > repartitioned with fdisk, and now I get: "Boot error"
> >
> > Which is, at least, a different failure message.
> >
> > Maybe I just have a sketchy key.
>
> Do you have a proper MBR on the stick that jumps to the bootsector of
> the active partition (that where syslinux is installed as far as I can
> see from this discussion)?

It did.  I think this a sketchy BIOS.  Will was going to try a BIOS
update now.

FWIW, a good way to check if the USB key is bootable is to install qemu
adn then run:
   qemu -hda /path/to/usb/stick -m 256 -std-vga

If that comes up to the boot screen, then the stick _should_ be bootable
modulo BIOS problems.  It's a nice, quick and easy way to ensure some
basic sanity

Jeremy