Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] how to set root password?

On 4/9/07, Brian Cain <brian cain gmail com> wrote:
That error message looks like a generic authentication failure, but if
you're sure you're typing in the password correctly, I would check the
manpage for sshd_config.  "PermitRootLogin" is one of the options
whose value may need to change.

I'm trying to log in from the terminal (tty1), not through ssh.
/etc/securetty is set to allow root logins from tty1.

As an alternative, I would recommend adding this to your livecd init
script instead:

echo "snoopy ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers

When the system is finally setup I don't want snoopy to be able to
gain root access. I only mention that I can't su from the only other
usable account as perhaps a hint to anyone that may know what is
causing root to not to be able to login.