Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] [Patch] specify custom directories

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 15:50 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 14:48 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 17:31 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Attached is a patch to customize the build_dir, yum cachedir and yum
installroot.
build dir and cachedir make sense to me[1], but what's the value in
setting install_root explicitly?  And as it stands, you're not even
using the value since there are lots of other places where we expect
that the install root is builddir/install_root.
That is why the yum_installroot passed is actually being symlinked from builddir/install_root. line ~34 in the patch. This allows a yum object already initialized to keep the installroot yet "install into builddir/install_root".
But why do you actually need that?  The install_root is where the file
system image gets mounted and so if you already have things in a
directory, that's not going to help.
I do not already have things in a directory (well actually, I do, but I don't care about them being trashed), I have an object pointing to a directory and I cannot change that without destroying and recreating the object.

But what are you trying to do?  You just keep talking about objects and
implementation details, not about the actual task you're trying to do.
What magic is going on that it's so important that this be kept in sync?

As said before, the already existent yum object points at another directory then builddir/install_root and the goal of specifying another install root then builddir/install_root is to be able to preserve the yum object as-is.

Bigger picture however is, I'm really trying to allow us to get into livecd-creator what we need for Revisor to be able to exec().

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip