[Fedora-livecd-list] Inheritance

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 19:01:58 UTC 2007

In the pilgrim tool it is fairly easy to inherit from "stream" files and
just expand a base image into a newer image.  This means I can create a
base description for an image, with all the required rpms and %post
processing and then define another image description which adds more
rpms and does more post processing.  We can even override hooks and
files in the child description.  For instance our liveCD SDK has added
gnome packages but does not download the ondisk html library to save
space.  This allows me to make changes to the base image which is
automatically reflected in the livecd image builds.

The real reason we need this is for country builds.  I know that the
livecd tools already have the ability to take an iso and add to it but I
also need the ability to do a build from scratch.  First can the current
kickstart file format handle this and second how can we support this if
it does not?