[Fedora-livecd-list] Custom kickstart/spins initial help

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue May 27 07:25:20 UTC 2008

Pedro Silva wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been playing with livecd tools since f8 and I'm really enjoying all
> the stuff that it allows me to do. I use it mostly to build custom live
> cds, dvds and usb sticks. I just pick a stock kickstart file that comes
> with fedora, add some repos, change locale/keyboard/timezone and
> increase the list of packages. Works great! Great way to test rawhide
> too.
>
> Recently, I built a kickstart file that creates a livecd that allows me
> to use livecd tools. I can boot any machine with this livecd and start
> building more images using livecd tools. Hint: If you are trying to use
> network storage with livecd tools, forget smb/cifs shares, go for nfs.
> My livecd-creator process was crashing hard when I used smb/cifs shares
> for --cache and --tmpdir options in livecd-creator. When I switched to
> nfs, everything worked ok.
>
> I've also created a fedora account because I would like to contribute to
> the livecd/dvd project. I've also uploaded the necessary ssh/pgp keys.
> I never used git before, although I know what it is.
>
> I joined this mailing list yesterday and I already saw something I would
> like to do. Regarding the email about a Brazilian localized spin of
> Fedora, I would like to do the same but for a Portuguese spin.
>
> Can anyone give some initial tips to help me contribute?

Hi Pedro,

Welcome to the club ;-) I'd love to see another localized spin as I'm
still missing a few hundred different languages ;-)

If you read the article
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/KickstartPool about what it is
we're trying to do, and how we try to make it as easy as possible to
make spins localized, maybe getting a Portuguese Spin of your liking
only takes a couple of minutes ;-) You can submit the result to me for a
little check-up and then I can submit it to the kickstart pool.

Let me know what you think and whether you need any help. Have fun!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip