proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:51:48 UTC 2005

On 7/26/05, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> I beg to differ, moving static libs to separate packages would make
> packages using static libs explicit, because their specs would have to
> have an explicit "BR: *-static" in their spec.

That's the big concern here right.. if statics are going to be used,
then there needs to be a way to quickly identify packages that are
using static libs so when there is a problem in the lib that demands
an update people can have high confidence in systematicly finding
packages that a rebuild against the updated static.

Is a BuildRequires for a "-static" subpackage good enough to generate
high confidence when doing this sort of audit?  I'm not sure this goes
far enough.. Don't some srpms contain the sources for a specific
version of a library to build statically against at build time? So
they wouldn't actually be using a BuildRequires at all.

-jef