proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 05:22:36 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 00:56 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>>Obviously, in both cases we disservice the developer.  The real
>>solution is to fix things to not require the static libs,
>
> Right.

Good, we agree on this. :)

>> and just simply remove them, not to hack around it by adding -static
>>packages.  That just causes confusion.
>
> No, it just makes package bugs/deficiencies obvious.

The bug in this case is already obvious.  In fact, in case it wasn't, I've already pointed it out several times having announced it on this (public) list and elsewhere.  So, it just annoys people if you break things without a proper fix.

> If it affects mozilla, firefox and friends, so be it ... what shall I
> say ... design probs therein.

Design flaws and all, don't break my packages in your quest for package divinity.  Patches will be accepted if you can grok your way through the NSS coreconf build system and its warts.