The Fedora Core Pruning project, Re: some minor Core pruning

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 11:59:06 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 01:43, David Eisenstein wrote:
> Some folks do not have broadband Internet connections.  They have dialup
> internet of 40 kbps download speed at best.  Some users may not even have
> *any* network connection.  How, then, is Fedora Extras useful to them,
> unless it, too, is packaged somehow on physical media alongside Core?  Does
> Fedora have that as a goal?

Yes we have such a goal.  Even without moving everything from Core to Extras,
one of the big goals we have is to create tools so that anybody can take a
collection of packages (could be from core, could be from extras) and easily
produce an iso set out of them, and have the legal right to call it Fedora.
This allows users to create a Fedora Gnome Edition or a Fedora KDE edition,
or a Fedora Server Edition or any number of different ways of putting
packages together.  Red Hat will most likely choose one collection to put out
there, anybody else can make other collections.  They all would use the
universe of packages for updates source, they would all use anaconda, etc,
etc..

We deeply care about folks with low bandwidth or no bandwidth, and any major
plan to shake up how we do things will have these folks in mind so that we
can continue delivering a quality distribution to them.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora