more Core dependency data

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 13:41:49 UTC 2006

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,

>> Why does it matter if it is in Core or Extras?
>
> Well, is it something that would help Xen too?  If so, it would
> definitely be good to have it as part of core.  It's only 14k, after
> all.  I know that vmware has support for USB pointers with absolute
> coordinates, and that has recently been added to Xen too; does this
> driver do anything for such devices?

I don't recall the specific improvments the driver provides to
vmware, but I do remember that they claim it greatly improves mouse
support when used under vmware over the "mouse" driver.  Both
the 'vmware' video driver and 'vmmouse' have also been available
for quite some time from VMware Inc. in their vmtools package
aparently.  They contributed the code to X.Org ages ago, as they
wanted their platforms to have out of the box OS support on par
with any other non-virtual setup.  If we can reuse this stuff under
Xen or other technologies, that would be great.

The driver sources are fairly small so you might want to pull them
from CVS and see if it might also be useful for Xen too.

HTH

--
Mike A. Harris,
Systems Engineer, X11 Development team,