Caution! Bad SONAME Provides

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jun 22 15:32:28 UTC 2007

MS> Broken dependencies are one thing, broken "Provides" another. The
MS> distribution includes an increasing number of packages, which
MS> don't filter their SONAME Provides when they include shared
MS> libraries in private paths.

I recall past discussions about whether these were problematic but I
never recall seeing any mandate that they be filtered.

Frankly, these are so incredibly common that I really think it's
completely counterproductive to require packagers to go out of their
way to fix broken dependency generation.  Why not fix the dependency
generator instead?

All it needs to do to fix up most of the issues is not look outside
the standard library paths.  For those rather few packages which add
to the regular ldconfig search path, they can either add dependencies
manually or can be provided with some way to add directories that the
dependency generator will search.  It could even look for files
contained in the package which will be placed in /etc/ld.so.conf.d and
automatically generate dependencies for them.

 - J<