Fedora Users - Brazil

David Barzilay barzilay at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 04:37:22 UTC 2005

Hi Alex and list,

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 20:54 -0500, Alex Maier wrote:
> Okay, I think I have the authority to make this happen and this is how
> I see this happening (and please tell me if you think i am wrong):
>
> As Fedora community is a global one, and regions can all learn from
> one another, I see no benefit in breaking the lists down by country,
> but rather by language.

Correct!

> So I suggest that we have a PT list for all Portuguese speakers,
> because even if there are large language differences between different
> dialects, the information will still flow, and the benefit from
> exchanging this information globally might outweigh the language
> difficulties.

Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are different languages per se
(caution: we are not dealing with different dialects here).

>From my experience in the Fedora translation community, separate lists
are the way to go.

BTW, in the Localization arena (i18n-related projects) we got a master
list, fedora-trans-list at redhat.com, for discussing overall
translation issues in English, and also localized lists, like fedora-
trans-pt_BR at redhat.com (for Brazilian Portuguese) for local matters.

More details at: http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/translations/

It has been working well and I do recommend this approach for the users
lists.

Thanks for listening,
--
David Barzilay