FEDORA AMBASSADORS. (Was: Slow actions? Time to move on!)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 19:58:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 13:42 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> Kudos to David Barzilay on his impatience about Fedora Marketing efforts.

That said ...

One cannot be overly impatient with volunteers.  It is all well and good
to put forward our best effort, to follow good project management
practices, and the like.  But don't forget ...

Grassroots projects are successful without excessive project planning.

They do this creatively and spontaneously.

This is orthogonal to the way military, corporate, and other formal and
professional organizations do it.

The latter works because the human element is buried underneath the
organization structure.

For grassroots efforts, we need to embrace that difference.  It is the
nature of our success, and part of what makes us attractive to humans.

What I suggest to David and others who are impatient, stop saying how
impatient you are.  Just do something.

For example, it has been in your power all along to form a Brasilian
based mailing list.  You've never needed permission.  It helps to
discuss with others to agree upon our naming convention, but otherwise,
what is holding you back?

> 3. BE AT OUR FIRST IRC MEETING!
>   WHERE: irc.freenode.net, channel #fedora-mktg.
>   WHEN: Thursday 17 November.  16:00 UTC, 11:00 Eastern US time.
>     (Your timezone: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html)

According to Alex via f-amb-l, this is actually 24 November, next week,
which is a holiday in the US, during a different time (14:00 UTC).

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject