Fedora derivatives branding discussion

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 18:12:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 4/20/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
>> But what about when the Fedora Red Hat "ships" is an amalgum of some
>> packages within the Universe (I hate this word)?  Is it only a REAL
>> Fedora when it comes out of Red Hat?
>
> Things reviewed and blessed by the Fedora Board get access to the more
> restricted marks. As in a live-cd that the board reviews and blesses..
> gets access to the more restricted marks and don't need to claim
> "based on". but can still claim "based on."  A livecd thats been built
> from Core+Extras sources but not reviewed/blessed by the board must
> use "based on" and uses the less restricted mark.

So who gets to use the "second" mark?  And how is this any different from
a parallel question: how does Fedora "bless" some websites, for example,
with the official mark, but not others.

Greg and I had an interesting conversation with some of our lawyers not
too long ago in which we went to them with the idea of having two marks --
one "official" mark that was strongly protected, and a second mark that
was more open and permissive in its terms.

What we heard back was a fairly compelling argument for why it's better to
just have *one* mark that we maintain guidelines around.  That's *the*
mark for Fedora, and things that use that mark have the blessing of the
Board.  The value in monitoring and protecting a second mark was pretty
questionable.

Greg -- can you chime in a bit here?  I don't feel like I'm summarizing
that particular conversation very well, and maybe this thread will give us
cause to revisit it.

--
Max Spevack
+ gpg key -- http://people.redhat.com/~mspevack/mspevack.asc