[Fedora-marketing-list] Interesting Article

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Aug 21 16:56:13 UTC 2006

Rahul escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
>> In my opinion Ubuntu is more targeted towards the new users, it has
>> many functions "dumbed" down for users, even if these
>> "simplifications" come at the cost of security (sudo, anyone?), and it
>> has also a large userbase because of this.
>
> I wouldnt call sudo by default a big security tradeoff but we can do
> better. See
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-July/msg00814.html

I know there are better models, even the PAM access controls I first
ever saw in Red Hat impressed me quite a bit, starting graphically an
administrative tool, and have the root password prompt is and was
awesome. However either more and more admin tasks have a graphical
frontend to use the same model or other model should be put in place
altogether... Like PolicyKit, as you mention.

> Fedora on the other hand,
>> is more targeted toward the "enthusiastic" users or "Linux power
>> users" (without it being Debian).
>
> That has been the case historically. I would like this to change.
And I'm doing my part. I have helped a lot of my friends and family to
migrate to Linux using Fedora as the path, I won't deny that at first,
especially with Yarrow and Tettnang Fedora kept its "elitist" approach
of being an enthusiast-only distro. Still I introduced it to a great
many people and thankfully, many of them are still using it.

>  Also Ubuntu has a larger lifespan
>> than Fedora, alas, (if I understand correctly)
>
> For the usual Ubuntu releases, the life cycle is 1.5 years which is
> not that different from Fedora especially when considering Fedora
> Legacy.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle
>
> Rahul
I understand this, but only a couple months ago I helped upgrade a
friend to Core 5 from Core 3, and the main reason for the update was
that there are no officially endorsed OpenOffice.org 2.0.x packages
for Core 3 or any of the Legacy maintained distros, for that matter.
Today I'm upgrading my home server to Core 5 too from Tettnang,
because I want to use official packages like PHP 5, more recent MySQL
builds, etc, on it. This is what I meant by lifespan. Having security
updates and bugfixes is good, and OK, but without the benefits from
newer versions of the programs, you are pretty much "forced" to
upgrade to a new version pretty much as soon as your current distro is
moved to Legacy. I'm not asking for this to change, after all I knew
that this was going to be the case with Fedora, as it IS part of what
makes Fedora, Fedora. But I wanted to point out that in the case of
Ubuntu, for its users the greater lifespan is good, as they have
upgrades, updates and bugfixes heavily worked on for 18 months, before
a distro upgrade. In the case of Fedora this is at most for 12 months
before moving into Legacy; and even then, some times even when the
next version is released the prior automatically stops getting new
versions of programs and is stalled. Not that this is 100% true, but
it is for quite a bit of packages (glibc, gcc, etc, etc), but at least
in the case of GCC this can induce serious problems.

Historically and traditionally Fedora is not to be used on "production
environments" as it being a community driven distro and the
"playground for RHEL", serves more to test a particular or group of
technologies to be included in RHEL (I KNOW that is not the case, but
until recently that was the general perception of Fedora amongst Linux
savvy users), however I'm glad that Fedora has started to have a life
of its own and is less and less tied to RedHat in terms of the
direction the distribution as a whole is taking and letting the
community more and more participate on it. I'm glad that Fedora is
less and less seen as the "Red Hat's community pet project" and more
as what it really is: A community driven project. Still some users
feel "distant" from the project and don't know how to get involved on
it (I know I felt that way for some time).

In general I think Fedora has made some real strides into changing how
the community perceives the project and to redefine itself. So it is
actually good to know the clarification that Fedora actually is
heading in a direction where it'd be in direct competition with Ubuntu
in the good sense, as competing to one-another will only lead to
positive things on both sides and to improve the user experience with
both distributions, which in the end will reflect on more Linux
users... That can only be a good thing in my book.