trademark protectin (was Re: Logo War: Red Hat Takes On DataPortability)

Tony Guntharp fusion94 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 19:39:45 UTC 2008

Karsten,
Well put...and I do understand the need for Red Hat, Inc. to protect
it's trademark. I guess the issue I have with it all were the methods
employed.

The DP group (of which I am a member) is an loosely formed community
with a purpose very similiar in vein to Open Source/Free Software. The
key thing to note is that this isn't a commercial entity.  You can
read more about the goals and objectives here:
http://www.dataportability.org/

A C&D letter should have been sent out as a last resort instead of
being the first salvo. By this being the first shot across the bow it
only allows for escalation to the court system. If the DP group had
been approached sooner by someone from within Red Hat then I think the
issue would have still been resolved in the same manner w/o Red Hat
looking like the bad guy.

thoughts?

-t