ubuntu marketing

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 23 16:08:16 UTC 2008

Russell Harrison wrote:

> What I do wish Fedora had was a better way to explain why things
> didn't work interactively.  For instance when a user attempted to
> access a NTFS partition a warning stating that there are patent issues
> preventing support of NTFS partitions in Fedora for legal reasons, and
> a link to more information, codeina style.  I don't have a problem
> with linking to fluendo as long as we link to any other available
> legal solutions as well.  Nothing motivates people to take action like
> a hit to their pocket book.

Ahem. Seems you haven't gotten the memo on NTFS

# yum info ntfs-3g

Installed Packages
Name   : ntfs-3g
Arch   : i386
Epoch  : 2
Version: 1.1120
Release: 1.fc8
Size   : 288 k
Repo   : installed
The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation
Linux NTFS driver. It provides full read-write access to NTFS, excluding
access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing file
ownership, access right.

Technically it’s based on and a major improvement to the third
generation Linux NTFS driver, ntfsmount. The improvements include
functionality, quality and performance enhancements.

ntfs-3g features are being merged to ntfsmount. In the meanwhile,
ntfs-3g is currently the only free, as in either speech or beer, NTFS
driver for Linux that supports unlimited file creation and deletion.

----

Rahul