Recruiting Students (Campus Ambassadors)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 20:07:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Jack Aboutboul <jaa at redhat.com> wrote:
> The main reasons for this working outside of ambassadors is that we are
> going to have a different governance model around this and the goals will be
> slightly different....

I'm looking specifically to put students/faculty with academic project
requirements in touch with existing Fedora Project technical needs
that could make adequate use of term limited student manpower to get
something specific and well scoped done.  If students as part of their
degrees need to work on a year or semester long project, I want Fedora
to be obvious place to look for compelling things to work on, with an
aim towards well scoped projects that have a good chance for long
lived utility.  Ie, things we know we'd like to see people take a stab
a doing, and we would attempt then pick up and maintain once the
student completes their academic project time period.  I hate seeing
good academic project die because there was no real plan to hand them
off   outside of that academic group which incubated them. I think we
do better.

I frankly don't care under what group I have to work under to help
achieve that.  If I can build these sorts of bridges under a Campus
specific outreach group which requires me to put in some "face time"
by giving a tech talk on a periodic basis.. so be it.  Whatever makes
the most sense to get our foot in the door so we can start generating
sustainable student involvement.

-jef